Climb Snowdon Weekend
- dates: Fri 19 Aug - Sun 21 Aug 2011
- duration: 2 days
- experience rating: 1
- max group size per guide: 8 people
- location: Menai Bridge show map
- price: from £229.00 pp
- availability: Places Available
About the Break
This fantastic weekend includes climbing to the summit of Snowdon, which at 1085m or 3560ft, is the highest mountain in England and Wales. Snowdon is at the heart of the Snowdonia National Park. Every year hundreds of people dig out their walking boots and waterproofs to share the exhilaration of scaling its slopes and enjoying some of the most spectacular scenery the UK has to offer.
The new Snowdon Visitor’s Centre, Hafod Eryri, recently opened on the summit. Costing £8.4million it really is a feat of engineering and offers some staggering views while you can enjoy a cup of tea.
The weekend is a sociable event and there’ll be plenty of opportunity to socialise with like-minded people. The age range is typically 27 to 49. These age ranges are just guidelines so if you’re a few years outside these ranges you can still come along.
On Saturday, guided by professional local mountain instructors, we’ll attempt the most suitable mountain walking route for the group, according to the prevailing weather. With a maximum of 8 people per guide we’ll move at a comfortable pace for the group. A day on Snowdon takes between five and seven hours, including breaks and a lunch stop.
Sunday will be more relaxed. After a lazy start we’ll head to the Isle of Anglesey which is well known for its unique and captivating coastline. Designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the Anglesey Coastal Path takes in sweeping sandy beaches, expansive dunes, tidal estuaries, rocky headlands and towering sea cliffs. We will walk a 5 mile section of the Coastal Path, or you might decide to chill out on the beach.
How fit do I have to be?
If you do some form of regular weekly exercise or have a physical job, you should be fine. If you do no regular exercise and have a desk job, you’ll find it hard but not impossible. If you are unsure, contact us. When we arrive back at the hotel you’ll have a chance to relax before meeting up for dinner and a glass or two of wine, congratulating ourselves on our achievement!
You’ll be staying at the lovely Victoria Hotel. The Victoria is situated in a picturesque setting in the town of Menai Bridge on the Isle of Anglesey. Overlooking the Menai Straits, the hotel offers panoramic views of the Snowdonia mountains and is three miles from the University City of Bangor.
The hotel has 17 ensuite bedrooms, some of which overlook the Menai Straits, and all have TV, tea/coffee making facilities and hairdryer. Other facilities include two licensed bars, a breakfast room, a restaurant, a large car park and a large beer garden overlooking the Menai Straits. We will allocate you someone to share with or you can pay a supplement for a single room.
For your comfort and safety on this weekend you will need good quality leather or leather and gortex walking boots - local hire is available (pre booking essential). You will also need a full set of waterproofs (jacket and trousers) which can be provided free of charge.
Please also ensure you have a rucksack and plenty of warm clothes including fleeces, hats and gloves. We will send you a recommended clothing list when you book.
- 2 nights accommodation at the Victoria Hotel in Menai Bridge, near Bangor
- 2 breakfasts with choice of continental and full Welsh breakfast
- 2 picnic lunches
- Dinner on Friday evening
- 2 days guided walks
- Transfers to start & finish of walks
- Experienced and fully qualified guides
- First aid cover
- Digital photos of the day (put on a special website for you to access)
Itinerary & What to Bring
- 2.00pm: From 2pm you can check in at the Victoria Hotel, Menai Bridge
- 8:00pm: Drinks, welcome meeting and introductions in the hotel bar
- 8:30am: Breakfast at the hotel
- 9:15am: Meet your walking guide at the hotel. Transport from hotel to Snowdon. Lunch is provided.
- 5:00pm: Transfer back to hotel
- 7:30pm: BBQ at hotel (included) and drinks afterwards
- 8:30am: Breakfast at the hotel
- 10:00am: Transport from hotel to activity venue for Coastal Walk. A packed lunch is provided.
- 4:00pm: Transfer back to hotel, farewells (in time for catching London train)
What should I bring?
Please remember to bring the following clothing and equipment with you.
- Walking boots with ankle support (local hire is available at £5 per pair, pre-booking is essential)
- Waterproof jacket and over trousers (these don't necessarily have to be expensive breathable types). We have a limited store of spare waterproofs if people don't have their own
- Warm outdoor clothing (fleeces, jumpers, tracksuit / jogging bottoms / leggings).
- Warm hat and gloves, even in the summer.
- Rucksack for your daily use (approx. 25 - 35 litres)
- Rucksack liner (bin liner)
- Water bottle
- Flask (if you want hot drinks during the day)
- Headtorch, if you have one
The Victoria Hotel is situated in a picturesque setting in the town of Menai Bridge on the Isle of Anglesey. On the water’s edge of the beautiful Menai Straits, the hotel offers panoramic views of the Snowdonia mountains and is three miles from the University City of Bangor and fifteen minutes from Snowdon.
The hotel boasts two bar areas, a lounge with an open fire, plenty of space for socialising and a large dining area with lovely views. All rooms are ensuite with good showers and plenty of hot water! The hotel is within walking distance of various pubs and shops.
You will share a room with one other group member of the same gender or you can choose to pay a supplement for a single room.
Drive to Menai Bridge or take the train to Bangor (3 miles from the hotel) where we offer a pick you up at certain times, free of charge.
Menai Bridge is well connected to the UK’s road network via North Wales’s A55 coastal expressway which links to the M6 and the A5 from the M54. The drive to Menai Bridge takes around 4½ hours from London, about 2 hours from Birmingham or Manchester or considerably less from Liverpool or Chester.
For route details see http://www.theaa.com/travel
Train Travel Details
We will do a pick up from Bangor station at 19.22 (train leaves Euston at 16.10 - direct train, takes just over 3 hours).
We’ll take you back to the station on Sunday in time for the 16.08 train (arrives Euston at 20.18 - 1 change, takes just over 4 hours).
For train travel information from other UK cities see http://www.thetrainline.com
Really good fun. Excellent instruction and guidance, patient and clear - felt safe. Great sense of satisfaction and variety in 2 days.
Caroline: Climb Snowdon Weekend
Excellent guiding from Dringo Adventure - Thanks
Jon: Climb Snowdon Weekend
I had a great time and really enjoyed the weekend. The instructors are very funny & nice and make for a great weekend.
Laura: Singles Walking Weekend
Booking: Climb Snowdon Weekend
You can book and pay securely online by clicking on the add to cart links. All your details, including your debit or credit card number, are securely encrypted using 128-bit SSL before being processed on Paypal’s secure servers.
|With Hotel Accommodation (Single Room)||£259.00 pp|
|With Hotel Accommodation (Twin Room)||£229.00 pp|
Download a booking form here if you prefer to book and pay by cheque through the post.